Bylaws of the International Cancer Information Service Group.
Adopted by ICISG members in Brighton, England, June 2001.
Revised April 2004, January 2008, September 2009, May 2010, June 2012
1. Board of Directors
The International Cancer Information Service (ICISG) is governed by a Board of Directors of up to 15 members. The Board of Directors consists of:
- Vice President
- Past President
Minimum 5 and maximum 12 directors
- The Board of Directors may nominate ex-officio directors at its discretion.
- An ex-Officio director is an ICISG member who wishes to contribute actively to the ICISG Board of Directors.
- The ex-officio has either joined the Board of Directors after the meeting of members or is an additional member of an organization already represented by a voting board member.
- The expectations of an ex-officio director are same as those for elected directors of the Board, except that they do not have the right to vote.
- Ex-Officio directors will have three year terms that can be renewed at the discretion of the board.
- The Board of Directors may nominate honorary directors at its discretion.
- An honorary director is an ICISG member who has already served on the Board of Directors and wishes to participate and/or act as an advisor to the Board of Directors.
- Honorary members do not have the right to vote and have a renewable term of 3 years.
- There are no expectations for honorary directors, but they are encouraged to participate in board meetings, contribute to a working group or provide advice to the Board as needed.
What is expected of Board members?
The ICISG Board of Directors is a ‘hands-on’ volunteer group who actively contributes to ICISG activities.
- Participate in the implementation of ICISG initiatives and activities.
- Assist in helping other countries start a CIS, sharing resources.
- Reply to email correspondence and contribute to listserv.
- Dedicate 1-2 days per month on average.
- Attend one in-person meeting and four conference calls per year.
- Cover her/his expenses for participation (travel, conference calls).
2. Terms of office and appointment of President, Vice-President and Board of Directors
The President holds office for up to three years at which time the Vice-President becomes the President defacto. The handover is usually during the ICISG General Meeting of Members.
- The Vice President is elected to hold office for 3 years.
- The Directors are elected to hold office for 3 years.
- The Vice President and directors can be re-elected to the Board.
- The Vice President is elected by the Board of Directors at a meeting following the ICISG General Meeting of Members.
- Only elected directors of the Board are eligible to become Vice President.
- A Board director may at any time submit her/his resignation in writing. The resignation will be communicated to the members via the listserv.
- In the event of a vacancy, provided that the minimum of 5 directors are in office, in addition to the President and Vice-President, the Board of Directors can continue to act.
- The Board of Directors may fill a vacancy by nominating an ex-officio director for the rest of the term.
ICISG General Meeting of members
- The ICISG General Meeting of Members will be held at least once during the President’s 3 years in office.
- The ICISG General Meeting of Members may be held in person or virtually.
- The ICISG General Meeting of Members in person meeting may coincide with the UICC Cancer Congress or another cancer information conference attended by many ICISG members.
- The virtual meeting may be by phone, video conference or webinar.
- A notice announcing the date, time and location of the ICISG General Meeting of Members will be posted on the ICISG website and on the ICISG listserv at least 3 months prior to the meeting.
3. ICISG Membership
- Organizations who wish to become ICISG members must submit a membership application form.
- Several individuals from the same organization can become ICISG members, but each organization must designate one voting member.
4. Nomination of Board directors
- The nomination process will start 3 months prior to the ICISG General Meeting of Members and will close 1 month prior to the meeting. No other nominations will be accepted after the closing of the nomination process.
- A notice announcing the beginning of the nomination process will be posted on the ICISG listserv and the ICISG website.
- An ICISG organizational voting member can nominate up to two directors by submitting a Board of Directors nomination form.
- There cannot be two voting board members from the same organization.
- The nomination will not be accepted if the nominee’s consent and biographical paragraph are not submitted with the nomination form.
- The nomination will not be accepted if the nominee cannot attend the ICISG General Meeting of Members unless the nominee has already served on the Board of Directors as voting or ex-officio member.
The list of nominees with biographies will be distributed to ICISG members via the listserv and posted on the ICISG website 1 month before the ICISG General Meeting of Members.
5. Voting and election of Board directors
- Election of directors to the Board will take place during the ICISG General Meeting of Members.
- There is one vote per member organization.
- Only the person named as the ICISG organizational voting member present at the ICISG General Meeting of Member can vote.
- ICISG voting members will be supplied with a voting form.
- Election will be by the majority of voting members present at the General Meeting of Members.
- President has the authority to call the meetings of the Board and the meetings of the members. President has the authority to chair the meetings.
- President has the authority to represent the ICISG at conferences or with other agencies when discussing potential collaborations.
- Vice President has authority to perform all duties delegated by the President when the latter is unable.
7. Meeting frequency, quorum and minutes
- The President, Vice President and Board directors will meet in person annually.
- The President, Vice President and Board directors will meet in person or virtually immediately following the ICISG General Meeting of Members. The purpose of this meeting is to elect a new Vice President who will take office immediately.
- Additionally the President, Vice President and Board directors will have at least two conference calls per year.
- The President may call ad hoc meetings as appropriate. In addition to the President or the Vice-President, at least five Board directors must be present for a quorum.
- Minutes of each ICISG Board of Directors meeting will be posted on the listserv and website.
8. Majority rule
All decisions shall be by majority vote of Board directors present, or in the case of a vote by email or mail, a majority of the Board directors who have voted.
9. Revision of the Governance by-laws
On behalf of the members, the Board of Directors may revise the Governance by-laws from time to time.